We are a Year 3 & 4 class.
Our class teacher is Mrs Banks.
Learning activities Term 2
Our topic this term is ‘Metals and Magnets". It has a strong science focus. The children will be learning about natural resources, types of metal, forces, magnetic poles, and compasses. We will look at mechanisms and create a moving storybook.
Our main text for this term is 'The Iron Man'. We will also study the poem 'The Coming of the Iron Man'. We will finish the term by writing a book review.
More details about our learning in this term will be posted in the newsletter.
Music - Ukulele
PurpleMash - There are lots of fun games and activities on there too!
Times Table Rock Stars - To practice times tables.
Reading Eggs - Phonics, spelling and reading activities. Children have received login details.
Top Marks - Educational games for lots of subjects, a particular favourite is 'Telling the Time'.
Oxford Owl - Lots of reading books online, as well as other resources.
Read Theory - Lots of books.
Open Library - A website for you to borrow books.
CBBC Newsround - Keep updated with child friendly news.
Teach handwriting - Help you practice your handwriting for a pen licence.
Pobble365 - English and writing activities.
GoNoodle - Lots of videos to help keep you active. These include dancing, yoga and stretching.
Cosmic Yoga - Lots of great yoga videos.
Mathsbot - Helpful manipulatives like dienes, numicon, counters and number lines.
Open Library books to borrow
Reading Eggs Phonics, spelling and reading activities. Children have received login details.
- Take turns to make plans and predictions before reading: ‘I wonder if… what do you think?’ ‘You think… Oh, I thought…’
- Recap to check ideas and understanding as your child is reading: ‘So, you think that…’ ‘Did you expect…to happen?’ ‘Why do you think that happened?’
- Use encouragement and praise to keep children engaged in reading: ‘What brilliant ideas…let’s see what happens.’ ‘You thought so carefully about... What might happen now?’
- Share prior knowledge and past experiences that link to what is being read: ‘Have you learnt about…at school?’ ‘Do you remember when we watched…and found out about…’
- Tune-in and listen to your child – be curious about their interests: ‘I didn’t know you knew so much about…’ ‘I love reading stories about...with you.’
At school we use the Reading Rainbow to give children a reading focus (a lens to read with) and sentence starters to answer questions.
Please continue to read and spell as many of these words as you can. Try setting yourself a challenge for 10 words per week! These are the Year 3/4 statutory spellings.
Spelling activity oy
Spelling activity oe
Spelling activity o-e
Spelling activity ue
Spelling activity u-e
Spelling activity ir
Spelling activity ph
Spelling activity ea
Spelling activity ou
Spelling activity wh
- Maths reasoning lessons Home learning challenges for year 3 & 4 by Gareth Metcalfe.
- White Rose Maths Home learning videos and maths resources. We use this approach in school.
WRM have now published free to download parent and pupil workbooks
- Third Space Learning offers a range of home learning resources with a maths focus.
- Classroom Secrets offers a range of English and maths activities, including games. Great for revision.
Please choose the appropriate level for your child.
The National Online Safety website provides, among others, guides with tips for parents to help keep children safe online. We have posted a few of those guides below for your information. Please visit https://nationalonlinesafety.com/hub/guide for more.